San Francisco State University
Center for Teaching and Faculty Development Advisory Board
Annual Report 2015-2016
Submitted to the Academic Committee on Committees (May 9, 2016)
- Executive Summary for AY 2015-2016
The CTFD Advisory Board engaged in a variety of tasks during 2015-2016. The charge of the Board was revised with input from the Academic Senate Faculty Affairs Committee in several ways. The charge was expanded to include development and facilitation of New Faculty Orientation, collaboration with fellow developers to advance CSU initiatives, website enhancements including mini-tutorials and pedagogical resources, pursuing grants for faculty development, and providing individualized consultations to faculty. Liaison responsibilities were listed including Colleges, Academic Senate and Student Affairs. Lastly, membership was specified to consist of staggered three-year terms.
The CTFD Advisory Board provided input in the planning of the January 25, 2016 Faculty Retreat and feedback following the retreat. There were more activities in comparison to 2015 with seven interactive forums, 19 workshops and 17 affinity groups. Attendance also increased from 2015. Some concern was expressed that the keynote speaker’s presentation was not sufficiently board in addressing the needs of the SFSU community.
The CTFD Advisory Board discussed how to increase outreach to lecturers including continuing to provide orientation materials and videos focusing on needs of lecturers. Members reached out to individual lecturers within our programs, departments and colleges and discussed ways to utilize on-line CTFD materials.
Towards the close of AY 2015-2016, the CTFD Advisory Board discussed the AS resolution that addressed combining CTFD and Academic Technology. The rationale for the re-merger was to expand the breadth of the center with teaching and learning communities at a single location. There was also consideration of faculty receiving assigned time to focus on faculty development at the CTFD as a way to enhance resources. Discussion of the restructuring of the CTFD will be continued in 2016-2017.
- Committee Information and Review of Activities for 2015-2016
- Maggie Beers, Director of Academic Technology, ex officio
- Sacha Bunge, Dean of Faculty Affairs and Professional Development, ex officio
- Therese Doan, representing Academic Senate (Co-chair)
- Meg Gorzycki, CTFD Consultant, ex officio
- Jeanette Lee, representing College of Health & Human Services
- Jeff Rosen, representing Library
- Maricel Santos, representing College of Liberal and Creative Arts and the Professional Development Committee
- Patti Solomon-Rice, representing Graduate College of Education, (Co-chair)
- Wesley Ueunten, representing College of Ethnic Studies
- Regular Meeting Schedule
- October 6, 2015
- November 3, 2015
- December 1, 2015
- February 2, 2016
- March 1, 2016
- April 5, 2016
- May 3. 2016
- Action Items
- Provided input in the planning of the January 2016 faculty retreat and feedback about the outcomes of the faculty retreat: Completed
- Revised the CTFD Advisory Board’s charge: Completed
- Increased CTFD’s outreach to lecturers at the program/department/college levels: In Progress
- Discussed Academic Senate’s resolution for restructuring the CTFD: In Progress
- Committee Recommendations for 2016-2017
- Committee Charge
There are no recommended changes to the charge; the charge was revised in 2016.
- Committee Membership
The CTFD Advisory Board will need to replace the following representatives whose terms expired in spring 2016:
- Academic Senate
- Graduate College of Education
The CTFD Advisory Board will need to add representatives from the following colleges and offices:
- Science and Engineering
- VP for Student Affairs
- To the Senate
The CTFD Advisory Board will continue discussion of CTFD restructuring.
- To Next Year’s Advisory Board
The AY 2016-2017 CTFD Advisory Board should consider the following issues:
- Participating in the planning of the 2017 faculty retreat
- Formulating and implementing additional collaborative efforts to increase outreach to lecturers
- Advising the CTFD on future improvements to the website
- Participating in the restructuring of the CTFD, as indicated
- Endorsement by the 2015-2016 CTFD Advisory Board
The report has been endorsed by the CTFD Advisory Board and its members.