Proposal to Establish the University Academic Assessment Advisory Committee
Policy to Establish the University Academic Assessment Advisory Committee
At its meeting of April 27, 1999, the Academic Senate approved the following policy to establish the University Academic Assessment Advisory Committee:
This policy creates the University Academic Assessment Advisory Committee with the following charge and responsibilities.
The charge of the University Academic Assessment Advisory Committee is to provide a channel for communication, advice, and liaison among Academic Affairs, the Academic Senate, and the faculty on academic assessment. For the purposes of this charge, academic assessment is defined as the use of quantitative and qualitative methods and measures to evaluate the process and outcomes of student learning.
Specific duties may include, but need not be limited to:
- Advise and make recommendations to the Office of Academic Affairs on academic assessment priorities and activities including the methods and measures used to assess the quality and performance of the university's curricular and co-curricular programs and support services
- Advise and make recommendations to the Academic Senate on academic assessment priorities, activities, and policies
- Serve as a channel for input on academic assessment matters from faculty and other members of the university community and advise the Office of Academic Affairs in disseminating information (e.g., survey results, data on student learning) related to academic assessment
- Promote the appropriate use of relevant, accurate and useful information (e.g., retention data, student satisfaction) as a basis for campus decision-making
- Identify ways of assisting faculty in the area of academic assessment
- Advise regarding the development of resources such as a centralized institutional performance database and regarding the dissemination of information to support program review and accreditation
- Report annually on its activities to the Academic Senate
The committee shall meet at least once each semester.
The membership of the University Academic Assessment Advisory Committee shall include the following:
One faculty representative elected by each of the nine colleges of the university
One faculty representative elected by the University Library
One faculty representative elected by the Student Services Professionals
The Chair or designee of the Academic Program Review Committee
The Chair or designee of the Curriculum Review and Approval Committee
The Chair or designee of the General Education Council
The Chair or designee of the Graduate Council
One undergraduate student and one graduate student as designated by the President of the Associated Students
One representative appointed by the Provost
Coordinator of Academic Assessment [ex officio, non-voting]
Committee members shall serve two-year renewable terms.
A chair shall be elected by the membership and serve a one year renewable term.
**APPROVED BY PRESIDENT CORRIGAN ON APRIL 29, 1999**