ACADEMIC SENATE MEETING MINUTES
Tuesday, October 6, 2015
SEVEN HILLS CONFERENCE CENTER, NOB HILL ROOM
2:00 – 5:00 p.m.
OPEN FLOOR PERIOD: 2:00 - 2:10 p.m.
The Open Floor Period provides an informal opportunity for campus community members to raise questions or make comments directed to Senate officers or to university administrators. Please arrive promptly at 2:00 p.m.
CALL TO ORDER: 2:10 p.m.
Alamilla Boyd, Nan
De Barros, Jose Acacio
Le, Mai Nhung
Van Dam, Mary Ann
Absences: Bartscher, Patricia (abs); Collins, Robert (exc); Frasier, Paulina (exc); Hill, Lorna (abs); Lebuhn, Gretchen (abs); Nizardini, Richard (abs); Steier, Saul (abs); Summit, Jennifer (exc); Teh, Kwok-Siong (abs); Turner, Sharlana (abs); Usowicz, Thad (exc); Wong, Les (abs); Yee-Melichar, Darlene (exc);
Visitors: Brian Beatty, Ann Hallum
AGENDA ITEM #1—Approval of the Minutes for September 22, 2015
- The minutes were approved without revisions.
AGENDA ITEM #2—Approval of the Agenda for October 6, 2015
- The Agenda was approved without revisions.
AGENDA ITEM #3—Chair’s Report
- The Chair gave a report regarding the recent school shooting in Oregon
AGENDA ITEM #4— Recommendation from the Executive Committee: Proposed Revisions to the Assigned Time for Extraordinary Service to Students Policy
- Rosegard moved the item into first reading
- Rosegard spoke to the main motion. Senate policy #S15-271 passed the senate last spring, but was not signed by the President due to concerns on committee membership. The changes to policy focused on membership of the committee, with the new membership requiring faculty reps from each college.
- Hanley provided background to the problems regarding Committee membership, as discussed in the previous year.
- Davila moved the main motion into second reading. The motion was seconded
- The motion to move into second reading passed.
- Gen spoke against the main motion as written because of the exclusion of graduate programs.
- Hanley spoke against the main motion due to the incredible workload it would create.
- The vote was called.
- The main motion failed. It will return to the floor at a later session.
AGENDA ITEM #5—Nominations for Senate Appointments Update
Enrollment Management/ 1 position, 2015-2016 (department chair)
- Mohammad Salama was elected by acclamation
Board of Appeals and Review/ 1 position, 2015-2017, faculty member from BUS, GCE, ETHS, or COSE
Board of Appeals and Review/ 1 stand in, F2015, for committee member on leave
- no nominations were received
AGENDA ITEM #6—Invited Speaker: Robert Moulton, Interim Chief Information Officer (2:35 time certain)
- Robert Moulton gave a report on the Wifi situation on campus, followed by a question and answer session
AGENDA ITEM #7 —Recommendation from the Executive Committee: Proposed Resolution on California State University (CSU) 2015-2016 Presidential Searches
- Ritter moved the item into first reading
- Ritter spoke to item. Four CSU campuses are conducting searches for Presidents, and the current policy does not mandate an open search process. 21 CSU campuses have passed similar resolutions.
- Lewis moved the item to second reading, Hoxter seconded
- The motion to move to second reading passed
- A vote was called on the main motion
- The main motion passed unanimously
AGENDA ITEM #8 —Standing Committee Reports
- Hammer spoke to APC’s upcoming agenda including revision of the university probation policy, CWEP, and revisiting Calendar issues
- Rosegard spoke to CRAC’s upcoming agenda which includes a graduate certificate coming to floor in two weeks
- Trogu spoke to FAC’s upcoming agenda, which includes the policy on temporary faculty evaluation, which will come to floor next meeting. In addition, FAC member Brown has joined the steering committee on EWPAFs
- Schwartz spoke to SAC’s upcoming agenda which includes a resolution on bullying, which will come to floor in two weeks. There is also a preferred names policy in the works.
- Azadpur spoke to SIC’s upcoming agenda, which includes progress on the workforce equity report, and plans to conduct survey
AGENDA ITEM #9 —Senate Secretary Replacement Election
- Davila spoke to the item, noting that she must step down as Secretary
- Lewis was elected as Secretary, creating a vacancy for an At-Large Executive Committee member
- Gerber was elected as At-Large Executive Committee member
AGENDA ITEM #10— Adjournment—no later than 5:00pm
- The move to adjourn passed unanimously