ACADEMIC SENATE MEETING
Tuesday, September 20, 2016
SEVEN HILLS CONFERENCE CENTER
NOB HILL ROOM
2:00 – 5:00 p.m.
OPEN FLOOR PERIOD: 2:00 - 2:10 p.m.
The Open Floor Period provides an informal opportunity for campus community members to raise questions or make comments directed to Senate officers or to university administrators. Please arrive promptly at 2:00 p.m.
CALL TO ORDER: 2:10 p.m.
Van Dam, Mary Ann
Absences: Bettinger, Chris; Carleton, Troi; Carrillo, Sandra; Collins, Robert; Cook, Dave; Cortez, Ron; de Barro, Jose; Hasheminia, Hamed; Kwan, Kwong-Liem; Le, Mai Nhung; Lebuhn, Gretchen; Lisy-Wagner, Laura (exc); Robinson, Nancy; Shapiro, Jerry; Solomon-Rice, Patti; Soorapanth, Sada; Weinberger, Christopher; Wong, Les; Yu, Betty; Zavala, Maria
Visitors: Brian de Vries, Brian Beatty, Misook Kim, Celia LoBuono Gonzalez, Claude Bartholomew
· ASI is sponsoring a Voter Registration Week October 3-7. ASI asks for faculty involvement via announcements in class. Will send email to faculty requesting class time for announcements.
Jay Ward, International Education Week
· SFSU hosts IEW celebration Nov. 14-18. Over 50 events are planned. Faculty support is needed by encouraging students to attend; offering IEW as an open class session or as extra credit are suggested.
Leticia Marquez-Magana, SF Build
Brian DeVries, CSU Palliative Care Institute
· Palliative care is interdisciplinary care for the spectrum of needs of chronic or terminal clients and their biological and logical families. The Palliative Care Institute will be needing a new Director. The Director is a 3-year commitment and would receive up to a 2 course release per semester. The PowerPoint slide on Senate ILearn has more information and who contact for interested faculty.
AGENDA ITEM #1—Approval of the Minutes for September 6, 2016
· Sen. Yee- Melichar: requested small correction on page 2 to spell out YM.
· Minutes approved as corrected.
AGENDA ITEM #2—Approval of the Agenda for September 20, 2016
· Approved as submitted.
AGENDA ITEM #3—Chair’s Report
· The Administrative Search Pool needs more members. Please notify your departments and Deans when nominations are requested in Spring semester.
· Forming the search committee for Provost has been collaborative between Ex-Comm and President Wong. A committee has been proposed and letters of invitation have been sent out. Policy requires that elected faculty make up the majority of the search committee for Provost and requires representation from all colleges and units The President will announce committee membership and will convene the committee.
AGENDA ITEM #4—Information Item: Department of Design and Industry has been approved to become the School of Design in the College of Liberal and Creative Arts
· Information item only.
AGENDA ITEM #5— Recommendation from the Strategic Issues Committee—Proposed revision to the Strategic Issues Committee charge (first reading)
· Sen. Mooney moves item. Speaks to item.
· Sen. Steier: questions the quantity of business for this committee and possible inequity of work and responsibility across Senate committees.
· Sen. Rosegard moves to second reading.
· Approved with one nay vote.
· Sen. Mooney: calls the question.
· Revision is approved by a super majority with one nay vote.
AGENDA ITEM #6—Recommendation from the Student Affairs Committee: Proposed Resolution in Support of Preferred Names (first reading)
· Sen. Schwartz moves item. Speaks to item.
· Sen. Williams: asks about medical records and status of preferred names.
· Sen. Wilson: asks about costs of the project.
· Sen. Steier: moves to second reading.
· Sen. Steier: calls the questions.
· Resolution is approved.
AGENDA ITEM #7 —Committee Nominations:
Board of Appeals and Review (2 faculty positions; 2016-2018 term)
· Samuel McCormick has been nominated.
· Patrick Tooney was nominated from the floor.
· Other nominations can be sent to the Senate office.
Enrollment Management Committee (2 faculty positions; 2016-2019)
· Eurania Lopez has self-nominated for the 3-year position.
· No other nominees were suggested from the floor.
· Eurania Lopez is appointed by acclimation.
· Inaccuracy: the second position is a 1-year appointment for a department Chair.
· Dr. Dawn Terrell from Psychology has been nominated.
· Nicole Watts from Political Science was nominated from the floor.
· Rene Dahl from CAD was nominated from the floor.
AGENDA ITEM #8 —ASCSU Report
· Sen. Yee- Melichar gave a report about ASCSU business. Slides from this presentation are posted on the Senate ILearn site.
AGENDA ITEM #9—Standing Committee Reports
Academic Policies Committee
· Discontinuance proposals discussed.
· Policy on Standard Time blocks discussed.
Curriculum Review and Approval Committee
· EO 1071 was reviewed; consultation with Sen. Yee-Melichar.
· Operationalizing substantive versus nonsubstantive changes guidelines .
· Graduate Certificate in Accounting was approved. This goes through the President and requires only consent from the Senate.
Faculty Affairs Committee
· Revisions to the RTP policy regarding role conflict were discussed.
Strategic Issues Committee
· Amendments for the committee charge were completed.
· Review of SIC role regarding the budget and discussed.
· Questions for Ron Cortez were discussed.
· Ron Young will now be ex-officio on SIC and will discuss questions nest week. Senators who wish to submit questions should contact Sen. Mooney.
Student Affairs Committee
· The graduation initiative was discussed.
· A proposal for an inclusion program to serve intellectually and neuro diverse students was presented by guest Julie Paulson and discussed.
· ASI representatives and recruiting students for committees are planned for next week.
AGENDA ITEM #— Adjournment—no later than 5:00pm
· Adjourned at 3:15.