ACADEMIC SENATE MEETING
Tuesday, September 6, 2016
SEVEN HILLS CONFERENCE CENTER
NOB HILL ROOM
2:00 – 5:00 p.m.
OPEN FLOOR PERIOD: 2:00 - 2:10 p.m.
The Open Floor Period provides an informal opportunity for campus community members to raise questions or make comments directed to Senate officers or to university administrators. Please arrive promptly at 2:00 p.m.
CALL TO ORDER: 2:10 p.m.
· Introduce DeMarco Garcia as new Systems Analyst in the Senate office.
· Sen. Yee-Melichar: 19th Annual Teaching and Learning Symposium will be held at San Jose State Oct. 21-22 focused on Student Success. Announcement will be posted on the website.
AGENDA ITEM #1—Approval of the Agenda for September 6, 2016
· Approved as submitted.
AGENDA ITEM #2—Chair’s Report
· Thank all Senators for agreeing to serve in AY 16-17. Welcome to new and returning senators. Agenda for the upcoming year outlined.
AGENDA ITEM #3—Senate Procedural Overview: Vice Chair Hackenberg
· Overview of Senate process and procedures.
AGENDA ITEM #4— Guest: President Wong
· President Wong presented remarks on the search for the new Provost, Student Success, the Budgeting process, the new Group of 40, improving the President’s contact with the faculty, the success of fund raising and progress in capitol projects.
AGENDA ITEM #5—Guest: Interim Provost Summit
· Interim Provost Summit gave a presentation which highlighted Student Success as a priority in AY 16-17. Slides from this presentation will be posted on the Senate ILearn site.
AGENDA ITEM #6 —Information Item: Approval for the establishment of the Department of Race and Resistance Studies [time certain 2:45]
· No discussion.
AGENDA ITEM #7 —Guest: Vice President of Administration and Finance Cortez
· Vice President Cortez gave a presentation on the budget and budget transparency. Slides from this presentation are posted on the Senate ILearn site.
AGENDA ITEM #8—Recommendation from the Executive Committee: Proposed Standing Committee Appointments (Consent Item)
· Approved by acclimation.
AGENDA ITEM #9—Recommendation from the Strategic Issues Committee: Proposed Revisions to the Strategic Issues Committee charge( first reading)
· Sen. Mooney presents item.
· Sen. Yee-Melinchar: Line 3: consider inserting “policies considering the relations within and between…” and in Line 18: “a member of the administration appointed by President Wong, preferably a College Dean…”
· Sen. Mayes: How is the staff representative chosen?
· Chair Carleton: Appointed from staff who are senators.
· Sen. Williams: Clarify Line 13 “scanning of the environment?”
· Sen. Mooney: This wording has been in the charge and is not part of this proposed revision.
· President Wong: The Campus Awareness team will do the same kinds of things as “scanning of the environment”. Need also to “share” the information.
· Chair Carleton: Moves item back to committee for consideration.
AGENDA ITEM #10—Committee Nominations
· Baccalaureate Requirement Committee— 1 position (2016-2017)
o Erik Rosegard, Chair of Department of Recreation, Parks and Tourism, HSS
o Sen. Rosegard is appointed by acclimation.
· Athletic Advisory Board—3 positions (2016-2017)
· Maria Veri, Nick Sousans and Eran Kaplan have been nominated.
· George Barganier is nominated from the floor.
· Vote taken: Maria Veri (Kinesiology), George Barganier (Criminal Justice) and Eran Kaplan (Humanities) were appointed.
AGENDA ITEM #11—Standing Committee Reports
· Academic Affairs Committee
· Sen. Gerber: Will work on a resolution or policy in support of standard time blocks for courses; a course repeat policy revision, a revision of the withdraw policy, a creation of new departments new policy.
· Curriculum Review and Approval Committee
· Sen. Rosegard: Will work on a revision of the cross- listed courses policy; the Executive Order 1071 draft re concentrations and new course proposals.
· Faculty Affairs Committee
· Sen. Sabee: Will work on a conflict of interest policy for RTP, revisions to the temporary faculty policy regarding grievance procedures, tenure density, fairness of employment and GTA tuition remission.
· Strategic Issues Committee
· Sen. Mooney: Will work on the SIC charge for membership and the budget. Solicited questions/ideas from senators re budget.
· Student Affairs Committee
· Sen. Schwartz: Will work on support to Career Services, Project Rebound, the Dream Center, minimum wage, programs for neuro-diverse students; will consider changing the charge of the committee to address the lack of student involvement; representatives from ASI and the Dream Center invited.
AGENDA ITEM #12—Adjournment—no later than 5:00pm
· Adjourned at 4:00 pm.
NEW SENATOR ORIENTATION IMMEDIATELY FOLLOWING PLENARY MEETING