First-Year Experience Committee
First-Year Experience Committee
In their transition to university life, first year students bring with them a foundation of rich personal identities and lived experiences. First year experience is a proven high-impact educational practice, designed to address critical issues including retention and attrition of first-year undergraduates and the transition from high school to postsecondary education. The majority of first year experiences involve campus resources and topics related to academic success, personal wellbeing, financial literacy, community awareness, and professional development.
Key Words: First-year experience, FYE Director
Foundations of Excellence Steering Committee and Academic Policies Committee
Academic Affairs, Student Affairs and Enrollment Management and the Division of Undergraduate Education and Academic Planning
I. The San Francisco State University First Year Experience Committee is charged to:
a. Review best practices occurring in the CSU and beyond
b. Make recommendations to the Academic Senate for the first-year seminar and other first year experience that helps first year students
· develop their own individualized intellectual identity through access to the rich array of curricular opportunities offered at SF State;
· shape an academic identity of their own by building relationships with students, faculty and staff in multiple communities of learning;
· construct a community identity through engagement with campus and community life;
· navigate institutional structures and processes to develop self-advocacy skills;
· identify with the university’s mission and values while finding inspiration in SF State’s rich history and;
· learn to appreciate diverse ways of being, belonging, learning and living, that may be different from their own experiences and identities.
c. Evaluate implemented first year experience activities and report findings to the Academic Senate
d. The committee is expected to break up into subcommittees to fulfill its charge.
- The First Year Experience Committee shall consist of the following members:
a. Student Affairs First-year experience director or designee, ex officio
b. Faculty Director of First-year experiences or designee, ex officio
c. General Education Director or designee, ex officio
d. Dean of Undergraduate Education and Academic Planning or designee, ex officio
e. Director of the Undergraduate Advising Center (UAC) or designee, ex officio
f. Director of Developmental Studies or designee, ex officio
g. Director of New Student Programs or designee, ex officio
h. Faculty Director of CEETL or designee, ex officio
i. Student representative appointed by Associated Students
j. Representative from Counseling and Psychological Services
k. Representative from Financial Aid
l. Representative from Metro Academies
m. Representative from EOP
n. Representative from Residential Life
o. Representative from Health Promotion and Wellness
p. Faculty appointed by the Academic Senate for three-year terms
i. A faculty representative whose primary teaching assignment is Written English Communication I courses
ii. A faculty representative whose primary teaching assignment is Oral Communication courses
iii. A faculty representative whose primary teaching assignment is Quantitative Reasoning courses
iv. A faculty representative whose primary teaching assignment is Critical Thinking courses.
q. The committee will be co-chaired by the First-Year Director from Student Affairs and the Faculty Director from Academic Affairs.