ACADEMIC SENATE MEETING
Tuesday, May 8,, 2018
SEVEN HILLS CONFERENCE CENTER
NOB HILL ROOM
2:00 – 3:00 p.m.
OPEN FLOOR PERIOD: 2:00 - 2:10 p.m.
The Open Floor Period provides an informal opportunity for campus community members to raise questions or make comments directed to Senate officers or to university administrators. Please arrive promptly at 2:00 p.m.
CALL TO ORDER: 2:10 p.m.
Barrera, Ana Maria
Dariotis, Wei Ming
De Barro, Jose A
Van Velsor, Patricia
Way, Lori Beth
Absences: Castillo, Nestor (abs); Denetclaw, Wilfred (abs); Foley, Jacqueline (abs); Johnson, Dane (abs); Leech, Mary (abs); Lopez, Janet (abs); Sev’aetasi, Loretta (exc); Pido, Eric (abs); Soorapanth, Sada (abs); Tanner, Kimberly (abs); Steier, Saul (abs); Yee-Melichar, Darlene (exc)
Visitors: Gust Yep, Sophie Clavier, Mark Baustista, Yim-Yu Wong, Grace Yoo, James Martel Mi-Sook Kim, Teaster Baird Jr, David Anderson, Trevor Getz, Lucia Volk, Dennis Desjardin, John Elia, Margaret Lynch , Jen Reck, Michelle Wolf, Karen Hossfield, David Matshinto.
Approval of the Agenda for May 8, 2018
- Agenda was approved as submitted.
Approval of the Minutes for May 1, 2018
- Minutes were approved with corrections to the spelling of Sen. de Barros’s name.
Announcements from the Floor
- Secretary Laura Lisy-Wagner informed Senate that May 9, 10 – 6 in Seven Hills, will be the LCA URSCA Showcase.
- Gilgamesh Jeter made an announcement for the last Wine Club meeting of the semester, today in the Vista Room from 5:30 – 7:30
- Sen. Dariotis announced an event called Tissues for Issues May 9, 11 – 1, in the middle of campus to raise awareness of the poor ratio of counselors to students on campus.
- Sen. Pasion informed Senate of an event from the Department of Biology: the Personalized Medicine Meeting on May 31. See personalizedmedicine.sfsu.edu for more information.
- Chair Gerber described in her report the proceedings for the transition from AY 2017 – 2018 Senate and the AY 2018 – 2019 Senate. She also announced the dates for graduation and Convocation, and outlined the agenda for the rest of the day. She noted that we will be giving resolutions for outgoing deans, but not for outgoing interim deans, following our common practice.
Academic Policies Committee
- Sen. Wilson thanked his committee for their service and expressed excitement for next year’s work.
Curriculum Review and Approval Committee
- Sen. Stowers thanked her committee for their service and expressed excitement for next year’s work.
Faculty Affairs Committee
- Sen. Roehrman thanked his committee for their service and outlined some of their good work.
Student Affairs Committee
- Sen. Williams thanked her committee for their service and expressed excitement for next year’s work.
Strategic Issues Committee
- Sen. Gen thanked his committee for their service and outlined some of their good work.
- Academic Policies Committee
Recommendation from the Executive Committee: Proposed Resolution in Recognition of Guido Krickx, Dean of the College of Continuing Education
- Sen. Gen read the resolution into the record. Dean Krickx was not able to be present.
Recommendation from the Executive Committee: Proposed Resolution in Recognition of Linda Oubre, Dean of the College of Business
- Sen. Thomas and the senators from the College of Business read the resolution into the record. Dean Oubre received the resolution and spoke to the Senate.
Recommendation from the Executive Committee: Proposed Resolution in Recognition of Kenneth Monteiro, Dean of the College of Ethnic Studies
- Sen. Collins and the senators from the College of Ethnic Studies read the resolution into the record. Dean Monteiro received the resolution and spoke to the Senate.
Recommendation from the Executive Committee: Proposed Resolution in Recognition of Outgoing 2017-2018 Academic Senators (consent item)
- Vice-Chair Albiniak read the resolution into the record.
Presentation of the 2018 Distinguished Faculty Achievement Awards– Jennifer Arin
- Prof. Arin presented the 2018 Distinguished Faculty Achievement Awards in the areas of teaching, professional achievement, and service.
- Prof. Kimberly Tanner received the award for Excellence in Teaching by a tenured or tenure-track faculty member. Sen. Pasion read a statement written by Sen. Tanner.
- Prof. Mark Bautista received the award for Excellence in Teaching by lecturers. Prof. Bautista spoke to the Senate about his work.
- Prof. Tom Parker received the award for Excellence in Professional Achievement. Prof. Parker spoke to the Senate about his work.
- Prof. James Martel received the award for Excellence in Service. Prof. Martel spoke to the Senate about his work.
- Senate was adjourned at 3:12 PM.