ACADEMIC SENATE MEETING

MINUTES

Tuesday, October 20, 2020

ZOOM MEETING 

2:00 – 4:30 p.m.

 

Attendance:

Abeywickrama, Priya (LCA)

Hines, Ellen (COSE)

Rubin, Jasper (HSS)

Albiniak, Teddy (LCA)

Holschuh, Carrie (HSS)

Schwartz, Kim (LCA)

Ara, Mitra (LCA)

Howell, Ryan (CoSE)

Scott, Michael (PRES)

Banks, Dwayne (PRES)

Hulick, Mari (LCA)

Seelye, Melissa (LIB)

Beatty, Brian (GCOE)

Kavuri-Bauer, Santhi (LCA)

Small, Rachel (COSE)

Bloom-Leiva, Gilda (GCOE)

Kuchins, Noah (SA)

Smith, Ryan (LFCoB)

Borjian, Ali (GCOE)

Kulik, Carole (HSS)

Stec, Loretta (LCA)

Bui, Yvonne (GCOE)

Le, Mai-Nhung (COES)

Stillman, Jonathon (COSE)

Carillo, Andrew (ASI)

Li, Wen-Wen (HSS)

Stowers, Genie (HSS)

Chen, Susan (SA)

Luengo, Ana (LCA)

Summit, Jennifer (Provost)

Collins, Robert Keith (COES)(ASCSU)

Mahoney Lynn (President)

Thomas, Tom (LFCoB)

Daus-Magbual, Arlene (SAEM)

Musselman, Elaine (HSS)

Van Cleave, Kendra (LIB)

Diamond, Morty (HSS)

Nielsen, Jordan (LIB)

Ward, Samantha (STF)

Dollinger, Marc (LCA)

Nielsen, Karina (COSE)

Way, Lori Beth (PRES)

Drennan, Marie (LCA)

Olsher, David (LCA)

Wilczak, Cindy (LCA)

Dunham, Ian (SLCoB)

Pesci, Nicolas (ASI)

Wilson, Jackson (HSS)

Gerber, Nancy (CoSE)

Pierce, Krystle (ASI)

Wong, Yutian (LCA)

Goldman, Michael (COSE)

Platas, Linda (HSS)

Woo, Jeannie (COES)

Grutzik, Cynthia (PRES)

Ramirez, Gilberto (STF)

Xu, Huizhong (COSE)

Harvey, Richard (HSS)

Richards, Johnetta (CoES)

Yee-Melichar, Darlene (CSU) (ASCSU)

Hennessy, Logan (LCA)

Riggs, Blake (CoSE)

Zhou, Yi (COB)

Harris-Boundy, Jason (LFCoB)

 

 

Absences: 

Jiang, Hao (COSE)

Robinson, Shanice (SAEM Staff)

Steward, Paul (GCOE)

Guests: 

Altura, Kim (UAC)

Egan, Charles (LCA-MLL)

Shapiro, Jerry (SW)

Bartholomew, Claude (DUEAP)

Eugene, Chelberg (SAEM)

Shimanoff, Susan (LCA)

Clavier, Sophie (Div. Grad)

Mandolfo, Carleen (FacAff)

Wilson, Jeff  (A&F)

Dewitt, Jane (DUEAP)

Porth, Jason (UCorp)

Wong, Yim-Yu (LFCoB)

Ganner, Nancy (A&F)

Remolona, Janet (LFCoB)

Helwig, Beth (SEAM)

Puder, Arno (CoSE)

 

 

 

 

OPEN FLOOR PERIOD:  2:00 - 2:05 p.m.

Announcements:

Dean Clavier (guest) – The division of Graduate Studies is hosting a Virtual Grad Preview Week (October 26 – 30) featuring information sessions, drop-in advising, application workshops, in both synchronous and asynchronous formats. Please notify your undergraduate students to register for events. https://grad.sfsu.edu

Sen. Seelye – This week is International Open Access Week – in celebration of the event there is a CSU-wide agreement that allows campus members to share their scholarly work. Contact Sen. Seelye for more information. mseelye@sfsu.edu

 

The Open Floor Period provides an informal opportunity for campus community members to raise questions or make comments directed to Senate officers or to university administrators.  Please arrive promptly at 2:00 p.m.

CALL TO ORDER: 2:05 p.m.

1.     Approval of the Agenda for October 20, 2020

·       Sen. Gerber moved to add an item from FAC to the end of new business as items # 

o    Seconded - unknown

o    No discussion

o    Amendment approved 

·       Sen. Hines moved to change the language in the first parenthesis in agenda item #9 from “Accelerated” to “Entry Level.”  Sen. Hines indicated that it was simply a typo.

o    Seconded – unknown

o    No discussion

o    Amendment approved

·       Approved with the above two changes @ 2:07pm

2.     Approval of the Minutes for October 6, 2020

·       Approved with changes in Item #19, within Sen. Bloom-Leiva’s comments (as emailed to Senate Office) @ 2:08pm

3.     Announcements from the Floor

·       None

4.     Reports

4.1.  Chair Report

·       Please see iLearn documentation draft EO as it pertains to the Ethnic Studies addition. 

o    Feedback form must be returned by November 2nd.

·       Staff nomination elections for University Budget Committee

4.2.  President Mahoney

·       AS has been getting out the vote and want to recognize their work.

·       We will be having legislative visits this coming week. They will be meeting with ExComm and AS. We will be addressing the budget, of course, and that there has never been a better time to support the CSU. 

·       We still have a budget deficit, when with the cuts already made. Everyone is invited to UBC.

·       Thank you to many of the faculty for reaching out and inviting me to a number of activities.

·       Thank you to Susan Chen, for posting the CAPS information in the chat. There is support available in these trying times. 

4.3.  Provost Summit

·       Continuing to speak with university chairs in their college meetings regarding the “Portfolio of Imperfect Options” 

·       Budget Forums (with CFO Jeff Wilson and Provost Jennifer Summit): Nov 5, 10-11:30 and Nov 13, 10-11:30

4.4.  Standing Committees

4.4.1.     Student Affairs Committee

·       Sen. Olsher – 1 item on the plenary agenda today. Also working on policy regarding dropping students for unpaid fees, and the late add process, a working group is working on a resolution to encourage hiring of a diverse staff and faculty in counseling. 

o    Sen. Hulik – RE: the CR/NC – are we counting the current CR/NC into the overall maximum. Also can we have confirmation that last semester’s CR/NC was counted or not?

§  Sen. Olsher – in this semester’s policy resolution we did not ask for a waiver for the limit.

§  Sen. Way – We cannot have the policy affect the limit, we could only extend the date this semester. 

4.4.2.     Strategic Issues Committee

·       Sen. Goldman – recently spoke with Advancement’s Jeff Jackanicz and were pleased to learn that there will be a new campaign in the near future. Today there is a resolution on the floor regarding RSCA and it’s importance to our students. It also recognizes our role in tackling broad issues

4.4.3.     Academic Policies Committee

·       Sen. Stowers – three items from EPC today on the floor. Two items from APC on today’s agenda. Working on exploring different methods of proposing courses.

4.4.4.     Curriculum Review and Approval Committee

·       Sen. Hines – three items on the floor today in first reading. 

4.4.5.     Faculty Affairs Committee

·       Sen. Rubin – one addition to the agenda today regarding the extension of SETEs being optional. We have withdrawn from discussion the policy regarding Chairs and directors (F11-145) and will be discussing further in committee.

New Business

5.     Recommendation from the Academic Policies Committee (APC): Resolution Calling for Eliminating the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) Requirement—first reading

·       Sen. Stowers moved the item to the floor and spoke to the item

·       Discussion 

o    Sen. Xu – the GRE has proven to be a poor indicator of student success, there are a lot of testing disparities shown in analysis, and it can be a financial burden for students to take the test and send to multiple campuses. If equity is a top priority for us, we should consider this. We also know that different units will have different opinions.

o    Sen. Pesci – the intent behind this is excellent. This situational reality for students during the COVID crises has magnified the challenged placed on students. 

o    Sen. Yee-Melichar – the CSU CO has recently declared that doctoral programs will not need the GRE and are considering the 

o    Sen. K. Neilsen – speak in favor – The GRE company even recommends that it is not used singularly as a measure. Also, impediments like this seem at odds with trying to raise enrollments in our graduate programs.

o    Sen. Carillo – this is a vital point to consider if SF State wants to set the bar in terms of assessing the various ways that a graduate program applicant can contribute as a student.

o    Sen. Drennan – speak in favor – there are websites that assist students in decision-making and they often have the GRE as one of the first items considered.

o    Bloom-Leiva – speak in favor – high GRE scores correlate with gender, socio-economic status, but not necessarily their success and under predicts the success of minority students. 

o    Sen. Stowers – thanks to Sen. Xu. The current version does not address the current situation and we will consider adding that item.

·       Item returned to committee @ 2:47pm

6.     Recommendation from the Academic Policies Committee (APC): Revision to S19-264: Online Education Policy—first reading

·       Sen. Stowers moved the item to the floor and spoke to the item – there are two sets of items to consider. A set of items that need immediate attention and a set of items that will need more time to consider. This is the first set of items.

·       Sen. Beatty – there are 3 areas of the policy that need immediate attention. Definitions, synchronous video, and student assessment. Line 66 and following lines include clarification about whether a HyFlex course can be synchronous or asynchronous and adds six additional definitions for clarity. Also addressed remote proctoring. Beginning in Line 126, third-party remote proctoring is addressed. Line 133 Use of synchronous video is addressed.

·       Discussion

o    Jane DeWitt – please consider adding “HyFlex” to Line 148. Should we note that courses should fit within time blocks scheduling.

o    Sen. Wilson – speaking in support for these short-term changes – one concern is on Line 143, the word “must” should be carefully considered. All faculty need to be prompted to provide this information if that remains in the language.

o    Sen. Gerber – Line 66 definition of HyFlex needs to be further clarified. In the lines 130-140, agree with Sen. Wilson and we need to do a better job letting instructors know what they must do. Also, if a student makes a request to NOT use the video, can a request be denied? Can we add language about the standard time blocks and how they can be used?

o    Sen. Bloom – suggest adding the words “student teaching” to the list on line 142?

o    Sen. Hulik – support the changes and also the suggestions to address the use of time blocks. It is important to keep the timing of courses consistent between all types of class, but also as we move back into F2F instruction.

·       Returned to committee @ 3:02pm

7.     Recommendation from the Curriculum Review and Approval Committee: New Certificate in Modern Language Learning and Teaching—first reading

·       Discussion

o    Sen. Hines moved the item to the floor and spoke to the item

o    Sen. Olsher ceded time to Charles Egan to speak to the item – 

§  Charles Egan - the MLL student who are interested in teaching languages in this country, whereas TESOL students may be utilizing it to teach adult learners or English in other countries.

o    Sen. Grutzik – from the GCoE perspective we like to see a move toward credentialing. We would love to consult so that we can align pedagogically to help students have a more streamlined experience.

o    Sen. Olsher – Abeywickrama might want to speak to it.

o    Sen. Abeywickrama – there is a demand for this qualification for undergraduates after they graduate. Again, there are no additional resources needed

·       Item returned to committee @ 3:07pm

8.     Recommendation from the Curriculum Review and Approval Committee: New Certificate in Special Study in TESOL—first reading

·       Sen. Hines moved the item to the floor and spoke to the item

·       Discussion

o    See discussion items above in item #7.

o    Sen. Collins – speak in favor in particular because of the importance of English language learning. Have we considered how it will enable our faculty peers to see the differences in teaching the English language and teaching students in a scholarly setting whose second language is English?

§  Sen. Abeywickrama – yes there must be an identified difference 

·       Returned to committee @ 3:12pm

9.     Recommendation from the Curriculum Review and Approval Committee: Proposed changes to concentrations in MS Nursing, MS Nursing (Entry Level), and MS Nursing (Accelerated Entry Level)—first reading[1]

·       Sen. Hines moved the item to the floor and spoke to the item

·       No discussion

·       Returned to committee @ 3:14pm

10.  Recommendation from the Educational Policies Council (EPC): Proposal for Discontinuance of the Master of Arts in German—first reading

·       Sen. Stowers moved the item to the floor and spoke to the item

·       Discussion

o    Sen. Stowers ceded time to Chair of MLL, Charles Egan

o    Chair Egan – this is a sad day. These are degrees that have a long and successful history, but face to face programs in these programs do not seems possible in this moment in time. 

·       Returned to committee @ 3:19pm

11.  Recommendation from the Education Policies Council (EPC): Proposal for the Discontinuance of the Master of Arts in Italian—first reading

·       Sen. Stowers moved the item to the floor and spoke to the item

·       Discussion

o    Sen. Stowers ceded time to Chair of MLL, Charles Egan

o    Chair Egan – it should also be noted that we have not accepted students because we were told that we should not accept students unless there were five or more students in the program. 

·       Returned to committee @ 3:21pm

12.  Recommendation from the Education Policies Council (EPC): Proposal for the Discontinuance of the Master of Arts in Japanese—first reading

·       Sen. Stowers moved the item to the floor and spoke to the item

·       Discussion

o    No discussion

·       Returned to committee @ 3:23pm

13.  Recommendation from the Student Affairs Committee (SAC): Revision to S16-121 Board of Appeals and Review Policy—first reading

·       Sen. Olsher moved the item to the floor and spoke to the item

·       Discussion

o    Sen. Gerber – speaking in favor. Suggest that in the membership section it should be clearer. Are the members of the senate elected or appointed? Withdrawal policy is referenced as well (line 75), does that count toward the total limit?

§  Sen. Olsher – We will address those concerns. Also, thanks to Kim Altura, Associate Dean of Undergraduate Education. 

o    Sen. Carillo – one comment on membership. There was a CSU audit that stated that 2 students must sit on the committee. 

§  Sen. Olsher – we will look into amending that.

o    Sen. Way – to be consistent with EO and campus policy, the board is recommending to the Dean of Undergraduate Education. Also students must have evidence after the 12th week for withdrawal.

·       Returned to committee @3:30pm

14.  Recommendation from the Strategic Issues Committee (SIC): Resolution in Support of Research, Scholarships, and Creative Activities as a Core Academic Committee—first reading

·       Sen. Goldman moved the item to the floor and spoke to the item

·       Discussion

o    Sen. Riggs – speaking in favor. Research helps support underrepresented students and helps keep them enrolled. 

o    Sen. Stillman – the success of our students in STEM really depends on their ability to do meaningful research. Right now they are restricted, so we should allow them to have the best possible opportunities. 

o    Sen. Wilczak – Make sure that we remember that this includes creative work as well.

o    Sen. Gerber – University Research council will be working to change their name to recognize all aspects of professional work that includes students. 

o    Sen. K. Nielsen – this resolution is meant to reflect all areas of research and creative work.

o    Sen. Hulik – want to stress the importance of research opportunities for faculty, especially young faculty. Attracting them and keeping faculty here is really important. All of these opportunities improve our campus overall.

o    Sen. Collins – it is important that we remember that research and creative work is important for access to encourage all studets.

o    Sen. Goldman – we wanted to make sure that the resolution states that any recovering will take all aspects of the university to come backf from this. 

·       Returned to committee @ 3:40pm

15.  Recommendation from the Faculty Affairs Committee -- Temporary Modification of Academic Senate Policy #S20-241: Policy Resolution on Retention, Tenure and Promotion

·       Sen. Rubin moved the item to the floor and spoke to the item

·       Discussion

o    Chair Albiniak – is there a similar policy that addresses lecturer faculty?

§  Sen. Rubin – Yes, it is forth-coming. There were a few more challenges with that one. 

o    Sen. Gerber – faculty are under a lot of pressure and it is important to create an environment of kindness. Thank you for working on this

·       Returned to committee @ 3:59pm

16.  Presentation from Beth Hellwig, Interim VP Student Affairs and Enrollment Management (time approximate: 3:45-4:00pm

·       Interim VP Hellwig presented to Senate regarding the use of the CARES ACT III funding. SAEM received approximately $400K of the $2.1M that the campus received. SEAM is using it in the following ways:

o    Men of Color Student Success Mentoring Program – supports students experience significant challenges to successfully stay enrolled.

o    Two New Counseling & Psychological Services Staff – clinical counselor & Well-Being Case Manager

o    Technology – Strengthen virtual work with students

·       Remote Services – Division of Student Life/Dean of Students

o    Virtual summer Orientation & 2020 GatorFest

o    Gators Helping Gators – response to COVID and ensuring a safe campus.

o    Residential Life Virtual Move-In & Town Halls

o    Student Life & Campus Rec Virtual Programming

o    Tele-Health services for students.

·       Equity & Community Inclusion

o    Many organizations are hosting virtual events that have been well-attended.

·       Campus Safety 

o    UPD is also hosting virtual events

o    Chief Parson, our new AVP for Campus Safety & Chief of Police has asked to form a University Pubic Safety Advisory Committee. Goal is to advise UPD to follow best practices/ 

o    UPD Response Protocols are being considered. Especially in classroom and residence halls. Modifying the training of dispatchers and RAs. 

o    Conducting an external review to improve our campus safety and operations. 

§  Sen. Carillo – thank you for your commitment to shared governance and ensuring that decisions are student-centered on this campus.

17.  Adjourned @ 4:00pm


[1]  Concentration changes include: 

·       Master of Science in Nursing- Adult/Gero Clinical Nurse Specialist (Accelerated Entry Level)

·       Master of Science in Nursing- Community Public Health Clinical Nurse Specialist (Accelerated Entry Level)

·       Master of Science in Nursing- Neonatal Clinical Nurse Specialist (Accelerated Entry Level)

·       Master of Science in Nursing- Nursing Administration (Accelerated Entry Level)

·       Master of Science in Nursing- Pediatrics Clinical Nurse Specialist (Accelerated Entry Level)

·       Master of Science in Nursing- Psychiatric and Mental Health Clinical Nurse Specialist (Accelerated Entry Level)

·       Master of Science in Nursing- Women's Health Clinical Nurse Specialist (Accelerated Entry Level)

·       Master in Nursing- Adult/Gero Clinical Nurse Specialist (Entry Level)

·       Master in Nursing- Community Public Health Clinical Nurse Specialist (Entry Level)

·       Master in Nursing- Neonatal Clinical Nurse Specialist (Entry Level)

·       Master in Nursing- Nursing Administration (Entry Level)

·       Master in Nursing- Pediatrics Clinical Nurse Specialist (Entry Level)

·       Master in Nursing- Psychiatric and Mental Health Clinical Nurse Specialist (Entry Level)

·       Master in Nursing- Woman's Health Clinical Nurse Specialist (Entry Level)

·       Master of Science in Nursing- Adult/Gero Clinical Nurse Specialist

·       Master of Science in Nursing- Community Public Health Clinical Nurse Specialist

·       Master of Science in Nursing- Neonatal Clinical Nurse Specialist

·       Master of Science in Nursing- Nursing Administration

·       Master of Science in Nursing- Pediatrics Clinical Nurse Specialist

·       Master of Science in Nursing- Psychiatric and Mental Health Clinical Nurse Specialist

·       Master of Science in Nursing- Women's Health Clinical Nurse Specialist