ACADEMIC SENATE MEETING 

MINUTES

Tuesday, September 8, 2020 ZOOMMEETING

2:00 – 4:00 p.m.

Attendance:

Albiniak, Teddy (LCA)

Holschuh, Carrie (HSS)

Scott, Michael (PRES)

Ara, Mitra (LCA)

Howell, Ryan (CoSE)

Seelye, Melissa (LIB)

Banks, Dwayne (PRES)

Hulick, Mari (LCA)

Small, Rachel (COSE)

Beatty, Brian (GCOE)

Jiang, Hao (COSE)

Smith, Ryan (COB)

Bloom, Gilda (GCOE)

Kavuri-Bauer, Santhi (LCA)

Stec, Loretta (LCA)

Borjian, Ali (GCOE)

Kuchins, Noah (SA)

Stillman, Jonathon (COSE)

Carillo, Andrew (ASI)

Kulik, Carole (HSS)

Stowers, Genie (HSS)

Chen, Susan (SA)

Le, Mai-Nhung (COES)

Summit, Jennifer (Provost)

Collins, Robert Keith (COES)(ASCSU)

Luengo, Ana (LCA)

Thomas, Tom (COB)

Daus-Magbual, Arlene (SAEM)

Mahoney Lynn (President)

Van Cleave, Kendra (LIB)

Dollinger, Marc (LCA)

Musselman, Elaine (HSS)

Ward, Samantha (STF)

Drennan, Marie (LCA)

Nielsen, Karina (COSE)

Way, Lori Beth (PRES)

Dunham, Ian (LFCOB)

Olsher, David (LCA)

Wilczak, Cindy (LCA)

Ferreira, Jason (CoES)

Pesci, Nicolas (ASI)

Wilson, Jackson (HSS)

Gerber, Nancy (CoSE)(ASCSU)

Pierce, Krystle (ASI)

Wong, Yutian (LCA)

Goldman, Michael (COSE)

Platas, Linda (HSS)

Woo, Jeannie (COES)

Harvey, Richard (HSS)

Ramirez, Gilberto (STF)

Xu, Huizhong (COSE)

Harris-Boundy, Jason (LFCOB)

Riggs, Blake (CoSE)

Yee-Melichar, Darlene (CSU) (ASCSU)

Hennessy, Logan (LCA)

Rubin, Jasper (HSS)

Zhou, Yi (COB)

Hines, Ellen (COSE)

Schwartz, Kim (LCA)

 

Absences: 

Abeywickrama, Priya (LCA)

Nielsen, Jordan (LIB)

 

Bui, Yvonne (GCOE)

Richards, Johnetta (CoES)

 

Diamond, Morty (HSS)

Robinson, Shanice (SAEM Staff)

 

Grutzik, Cynthia (PRES)

Steward, Paul (GCOE)

 

Guests: 

Bartholomew, Claude (DUEAP)

Ganner, Nancy (A&F)

Pando, Chaz (Housing)

Beers, Maggie (CEETL)

Hancock, Shae (UCorp)

Porth, Jason (UCorp)

Camacho, Melissa (BECA)

Jahani, Hossain  (Housing)

Reist, Sami (BECA)

Clavier, Sophie (Div. Grad)

Kim, Catherine (HR)

Wilson, Jeff  (A&F)

Dewitt, Jane (DUEAP)

Mandolfo, Carleen (FacAff)

Wong, Yim-Yu (BUS)

 

The meeting will start a 2:00 p.m. with an opportunity for participants to check their settings and the Officers to take attendance. Instructions are available on iLearn for Senators and through email (senate@sfsu.edu) for guests.

CALL TO ORDER: 2:10 p.m.

1.     Approval of the Agenda for September 8, 2020

·       Approved as submitted @ 2:10pm

2.     Approval of the Minutes for May 12, 2020

·       Approved as submitted @ 2:11pm

3.     Announcements from the Floor

·       Sen. Yee-Melichar – OLLI’s full session is open for registration. ASCSU meeting notes are uploaded on the iLearn site. Faculty Innovation and Leadership Awards information is also on iLearn. 

4.     Reports

4.1.     Chair Report

·       Chair Albiniak delivered a welcome to all senators, returning and new.

·       Vice Chair/Sen. Wilson introduced the general concepts of Robert’s Rules.  

4.2.     President Mahoney

·       President Mahoney welcomed everyone. Thanked everyone for their summer work and dedication to the conservative approach that we took to the pandemic. She shared budget information including layoffs that were announced today and future adjustments that the campus will endure. Our mission continues to be to serve our students and all of these changes do not change that. Discussed a variety of changes that the campus making. Encouraged kindness and compassion. Lauded the importance of shared governance, especially in these difficult times.

o   There were no comments are questions

4.3.     Provost Summit

·       Provost Summit also welcomed and thanked everyone for their work over the summer in support of our students. Also shared three general items. 

o   Budget  - this is a perfect storm, which will need careful planning going ahead. Over the summer AAC and ExComm worked together to develop a “portfolio of imperfect options” and the Senate will get more information at the next plenary. There is a $6.4M shortfall in Academic Affairs. 

o   Spring 20-21 planning – the Chancellor has not yet made an announcement, but all news suggests that we will be taking another conservative approach to the Spring semester. As soon as the announcement is made a survey will go to the chairs to determine exceptions for face-to-face courses. 

o   AB1460 and its implementation will be something we need to tackle soon.

§  Sen. Hulik – where does FERP fall in the budget considerations?

·       Provost Summit – position does not change. Bulk of the saving is not immediately felt.

4.4.   Standing Committees 

4.4.1.Academic Policies Committee

·       Sen. Stowers – The committee formed workgroups and prioritized policy revisions including online education policy, a new policy on course proposals, and removal of GRE as a requirement. Also will be meting as EPC to consider a number of other certificates. 

4.4.2.Curriculum Review and Approval Committee 

·       Sen. Hines – The committee reviewed two programs and are bringing those to plenary today. Also reviewed a number of other revisions, some of which will come as consent items today.

4.4.3.Faculty Affairs Committee

·       Sen. Rubin – the committee narrowed down to how crises affect the RTP process and how to support lecturer faculty. Also looking at sabbatical and leave with pay policy in order to simplify the process. Some leftover business regarding Department Chairs/Director policy in terms of whether staff should be allowed to participate in the selection of the chair.

o   Sen. Bloom – clarify that it was the process of selection or review?

§  Sen. Rubin – the committee is considering all of the options right now.

4.4.4.Student Affairs Committee 

·       Sen. Olsher – The committee set priorities for the semester. Grading policy will be considered as soon as possible and whether or not Spring options should be extended into this semester, as well as an extension of due dates for completion of incomplete grades. A survey went out to some students. The survey was not meant to be data-collection, but informational. Students who responded stressed that the grading options relieved stress. Many indicated that information was clear but they would like more communication. The committee will also be making a small adjustment/update to withdrawal policy and the academic advising policy, working on policy that addresses dropping students for non-payment. Also discussed how to address equity and inclusion which centered around ensuring that increased diversity of student-centric staff that reflects the demographic of our students. 

o   Sen. Pesci – point of information – many conversations with students have included a concern students have enough time to pay. Please consider an extended pay period. 

o   Sen. Hines – These kinds of support of our support are important and are a long time coming.

4.4.5.Strategic Issues Committee

·       Sen. Goldman – The committee will be considering ways to encourage enrollment optimization, increased retention and other ways to improve our reputation to boost us in the area. The committee will be inviting AVP of Advancement to discuss what the committee can do to support. Improving employee morale is also being discussed, especially in terms of a staff council and possible a university senate instead of an academic senate.

New Business

 

5.     Recommendation from the Executive Committee: Proposed Resolution in Support of Voter Registration Efforts – first reading

·       Sen. Wilson moved the item and spoke to the item.

o   Chair Albiniak thanks and acknowledged the students who have been working to “get out the vote.”

o   Sen. Gerber – only recommendation for change is line 27 to gain a wider audience.

o   Sen. Yee-Melichar – timely but also we are fortunate to be able to vote and should exercise that right. Let’s re-affirm the resolution.

o   Sen. Carillo – in favor and agree with previous statements. Thanks also to students James Aguilar and Joshua Ochoa.

·       Item returned to committee @ 3:09pm

6.     Recommendation from the Executive Committee: Proposed Resolution on Third Party Proctoring – first reading

·       Sen. Wilson moved the item and spoke to the item.

o   Sen. Collins – thank you for the timely resolution. The ASCSU perspective is that this will be considered all over the system this year. One suggestion would be to add some language about the importance of universal design in lines 49-52. Suggested language:  …barriers for students with visual or hearing impairments and faculty seeking to implement universal design in learning.

o   Sen. Stowers – support the resolution and appreciate that Sen. Wilson is getting out ahead of this issue.

o   Sen. Harvey – there is a link in the resolution which links to a list that includes software such as Zoom. Want to make sure that we don’t exclude ALL software. 

§  Sen. Wilson – the resolution is identifying third-party companies who are contracted to observe students.

o   Sen. Yee-Melichar – speaking in support. This is a system wide concern and thanks to our campus being ahead of the curve we are able to get our language into the CSU conversation.

 

7.     Recommendation from the Curriculum Review and Approval Committee: Proposed Master of Fine Artsin Broadcast & Electronic Communication Arts – first reading

·       Sen. Hines moved the item and spoke to the item.

o   Sen. Drennan and guest Professor Camacho extended the conversation and gave more information about the history and hopeful future of the proposed degree.

§  Sen. Wilczak – confused about the utilization of resources. It says that there are no new resources, and the majority of courses are already being taught except for one new course. It seems that there is some confusion.

·       Professor Camacho – many students are staying an extra year already. The program makes some classes mandatory, but there are no new courses. We are formalizing the extra year and offering them a terminal degree in the process.

§  Sen. Hulik – had the same question as Wilczak, but wanted to support this because it is removing a barrier for students who previously did not have access to an MFA.

§  Sen. Collins – support this wholeheartedly. In particular in terms of the weaving together of theory and practice and suggested language to really boost the equity, diversity and inclusion ideals of the program.

§  Sen. Stowers – Would the MA be discontinued?

·       Professor Camacho – in the first year all grad students do the same work, MFA candidates must submit portfolios for entrance into the MFA program.

·       Item returned to committee @3:34pm

 

Consent Items

 

8.     Recommendation from the Curriculum Review and Approval Committee: Revision to the Bachelorof Arts in Criminal Justice Studies – consent item

·       Sen. Hines moved the item and spoke to the item.

o   No comments

·       Item was accepted by consent without comment @ 3:38pm

9.     Recommendation from the Curriculum Review and Approval Committee: Revision to the Certificatein Clinical Laboratory Science – consent item

·       Sen. Hines moved the item and spoke to the item.

o   No comments

·       Item was accepted by consent without comment @3:40pm

 

Presentations

 

10.  Virtual Welcome and Community Building Event – Organized by the Executive Committee

·       Senators were sent to break out rooms to have an opportunity to engage in some open conversation. This exercise was in lieu of the typical reception that would be enjoyed after the first meeting of the full senate. 

 

11.    Adjournment

·       Senate adjourned at 3:55pm